Department of Health and Human Services Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS) Child Care Subsidy Program has recently sent out information on changes ahead for the program. These changes are being implemented to make it easier for families to apply and renew. From the material sent out and checking the linked sites here is what FCCAM was able to pull together to inform providers and for sharing with families.
As of January 2, 2020, applications and renewals for the Child Care Subsidy Program will no longer be handled by the Office for Family Independence (OFI)), but by the Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS).
If families receive other benefits such as SNAP, TANF, or MaineCare, the process for applying for and renewing those benefits through OFI will not change.
What you need to know:
- The Child Care Subsidy Program assists eligible families in paying for child care if they work, are enrolled in school, participate in a job training program, or are retired and the legal guardian of a child.
- For information on eligibility guidelines, please visit the Child Care Subsidy Program webpage. Here is the last information we have: Family is defined as: (a) a child and the related and/or non-related adults who are living together in a legally binding relationship to the child either by blood, marriage, adoption, or registered domestic partnership or (b) the child and an adult acting In-loco Parentis.
As of Jan. 2, 2020 there will be three ways to apply:
- Complete the application online: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/ocfs/ec/occhs/step.htm;
- Call: 1-877-680-5866 or (207) 624-7999 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; or
- Visit your local DHHS Office. Click HERE to find your local DHHS Office or call: 1-877-680-5866 or (207) 624-7999
Visit My Maine Connection, your online connection to Food Supplement, Health Care, Cash Assistance and/or Child Care. With this service you can: Apply for Benefits / View all information on your case and submit changes / Complete your Re-certification / View your benefit history for the past 12 months. Just sign up for an account. Or if you already have an account sign in with your username and password.
All links worked when posting. We have often found that links to state sites can go down unexpectedly.