Posted in Uncategorized

MaineHousing’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program

FCCAM PLC wants to sure family child care providers are aware of the MaineHousing’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program. The program could be helpful for families and anyone else who is struggling to pay their rent as a result of the pandemic. This program is available for anyone who rents. That means providers, child care staff and families of children in care. Just like we want all providers to be aware of this, we are asking you to also make the information available to the families you provide care for.

Maine has $200 million in rent relief funds from the federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program. Through MaineHousing’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program  which will operate through the end of 2021, rental and utility relief payments to help eligible renters maintain housing stability will be provided.  The Emergency Rental Assistance Program can pay for rent and some utilities owed back to March 13, 2020. The program will also cover up to three months of upcoming rent and utilities.  Utilities include electricity, water, sewer, trash, and heat. Eligible households can receive up to 15 months of assistance!  There is no cap on the amount of assistance families can receive. 

To be eligible for assistance:

  • Your household income must meet certain income limits. Limits vary by location and household size. This ERA Program calculator will help determine if you MAY be eligible for the program.
  • You must have had your income reduced, had significant costs, or had other financial hardship because of COVID-19 OR qualified for unemployment benefits between March 13, 2020 and the date of your application.
  • You must show you are at risk for becoming homeless OR that you might lose your housing. This could include borrowing money to pay housing costs, having past-due rent or utility bills, or eviction notices.

Maine’s Community Action Agencies will review applications, check eligibility, and process payments for eligible expenses on behalf of households.

Individuals can apply online or through their local Community Action Agency.  For a paper application you can download an application here. You can submit the application by email or mail to your local Community Action Agency. If you need a paper application, please call MaineHousing at 1-800-452-4668 and we will send you one.

If you have any questions, please contact please call MaineHousing at 1-800-452-4668.


FCCAM works to unify, promote and strengthen quality professional family child care in Maine. We understand the critical role of child care providers in the lives of children and families. Through collaboration with other organizations we work to increase awareness of our profession and the value of a strong child care system to Maine's diverse communities.