notice from OCFS ~
Congress approved the Child Care Stabilization Grants appropriated in the American Rescue Plan Act (ARP) (Public Law 117-2) signed into law on March 11, 2021. The nationwide funding includes $23.975 billion in additional funding for the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG) to provide grants to providers assist with stabilizing child care across the nation.
Maine has received $73 million from that total for ARP Act Stabilization Grant funds. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS) will distribute the grants to child care providers to stabilize Maine’s child care market.
Who is eligible?
All licensed child care providers and Child Care Subsidy Program (CCSP) license-exempt, nonrelative providers are eligible to apply. Approved grantees will receive monthly payments. Total payments are based on the following:
- Licensed capacity
- $100 per licensed slot per month
- license-exempt, nonrelative providers will be reimbursed based on capacity of 2 slots
- Additional funds for higher quality levels
- Step 1- $50 per month
- Step 2 – $100 per month
- Step 3- $150 per month
- Step 4- $200 per month
- CSP providers
- $150 per month
- Providing nontraditional hours of care
- 6PM to 6AM or weekend hours will receive $100 per month
- Staff bonuses
- $200 per staff per month and funds must be paid directly to staff
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Providers must be open and providing direct child care on a regular basis at time of the application.
- Programs must be in compliance with licensing rules.
- Programs must have a valid Vender Code with OCFS.
- All program staff must be active members in the Maine Roads to Quality.
- Register at Home – MRTQ Registry (mrtq-registry.org) or 1-888-900-0055 for assistance.
- Licensed programs must be active in the Quality for ME Quality Rating Improvement System (QRIS)
- All owners, directors, and staff have completed the State approved health and safety training within 90 days of hire.
- Online Training – MRTQ Registry (mrtq-registry.org)
What are allowable uses of funds?
Grant funds are meant to cover COVID-related costs for the following:
- Personnel costs – include but not limited to
- Hazard pay or bonuses to staff
- Sign on bonuses
- Increased staff wages
- Rent, utilities, facilities maintenance, and insurance
- Reduction in family cost (i.e. registration fees, weekly child care cost for private pay parents)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE), cleaning, and other health and safety needs
- Equipment and supplies
- Goods and services
- Mental health services
- Paying for past expenses
Who do I contact?
For questions regarding your status on any of following contact:
- License status please contact your Children’s Licensing and Investigation Services Licensing Specialist
- For information on Vendor Codes contact Vickie Bussey at (207) 624-7909 or Vickie.Bussey@maine.gov
- CCSP provider status contact OCFS CCSP at 1-877-680-5866 or Augusta: (207) 624- 7999 or email: CCSP.DHHS@Maine.gov
- Quality for ME certificate status contact Vickie Bussey at (207) 624-7909 or Vickie.Bussey@maine.gov
- Maine Roads to Quality Registry contact MRTQ at 1-888-900-0055 or email@example.com
- Health and safety training status for yourself or your staff contact Vickie Bussey at (207) 624-7909 or Vickie.Bussey@maine.gov