As self-employed small business owners, family child care providers today have 2 options for health care coverage: insure under a partner’s employer-sponsored coverage or purchase our own through an Affordable Care Act Health Care Marketplace. In the past, many providers found ACA coverage while an option, still expensive and/or had high deductibles. If we have employees we are not usually in a place to provide them with health insurance and they face the same options: self coverage or partner’s. It’s important to know that with changes to the law, the Affordable Care Act Health Care Marketplace has become more affordable.
Maine now has their own Health Insurance Marketplace: CoverME.gov. Providers and their staff should check out their options before enrollment ends. It’s pretty easy. Create an account, fill out an application, and enroll in quality, affordable coverage.
Some Things to Know about the Marketplace Open Enrollment:
- Open Enrollment Period started on November 1 and runs until January 15, 2022.
- Consumers who enroll by December 15 can get coverage that starts January 1, 2022.
- The American Rescue Plan has provided increased financial assistance to lower premiums and out-of-pocket costs, making coverage more affordable.
- Health plans are available that offer doctor visits, emergency care, behavioral health care, preventive care , hospital care, and prescription drugs.
- There is more help available. To shop and compare health plans use Maine’s Plan Compare tool. It will take you through a few simple steps to find the right health insurance plan for your needs and budget.
*Sample of what might see as a plan from the Plan Compare tool for a single individual 57 years of age with income at $45000. There were 49 plan options.
CoverME.gov is operated by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services P.O. BOX 616 | AUGUSTA, ME 04332-6626 | 1-866-636-0355 | TTY: 711