The mission of FCCAM is to unify, promote and strengthen quality professional family child care in the State of Maine.
Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the non-profit association towards a sustainable future through adoption of sound, ethical, legal governance and financial management policies.
Nonprofit board members:
- Ensure prudent use of all assets, including facility, people, and good will.
- Provide oversight for all activities that advance the nonprofit’s effectiveness and sustainability.
- Make decisions in the best interest of the nonprofit corporation; not in their own self-interest.
- Ensure that the nonprofit obeys applicable laws and acts in accordance with ethical practices; that the nonprofit adheres to its stated corporate purposes, and that its activities advance its mission.
Chrissie Davis, Skowhegan – Chair
Bridget Barden, Windham – Vice Chair
Deborah Arcaro, Gorham – Secretary
Sasha Shunk, Portland – Treasurer
Brendle Johnson, Wells
April Picard, Palmyra
Public Policy: Chrissie Davis
- Keep public policy positions of FCCAM up to date
- Stay informed and engaged in public policy activities, at the local, state and national level
- Develop annual public policy priorities for issues related to family child care in Maine, in the context of the political climate and legislative/regulatory schedule of the state
- Ensure communication with the Board, membership and NAFCC on a regular basis
Outreach/Membership: Sasha Shunk
- Support efforts to network on local, statewide and national level
- Through various forms of communication will inform family child care providers of the benefits of membership in FCCAM and NAFCC
- Increase membership
- Ensure members receive information about local, state and national activity including professional development opportunities
- Communicating with the general public regarding child care issues and Association business
- Writing releases on upcoming events and newsworthy items
- Maintains informational materials such as brochures, flyers, displays
Governance: Deborah Arcaro
- Assess the Board’s current composition and identify needs
- Identify and cultivate prospective Board members
- Send out Call for Nominations Form to membership to ensure there are qualified candidates nominated for Board positions
- Develop and present approved slate of nominees to Board
- Oversee election of Board members
Professional Learning: Tammy Dwyer
- Develops and maintains resource materials that support best practices in early childhood development
- Coordinates conference events
- Oversees mentoring program
- Develop educational services and resources for family child care providers and staff
Liaisons / Collaboration:
MaineAEYC: Bridget Barden
NAFCC state leadership: Chrissie Davis
CCAC (Child Care Advisory Council): Chrissie Davis
Maine Together: Sasha Shunk, Bridget Barden
Strengthening Family Child Care: Chrissie Davis, Deborah Arcaro
Right from the Start: Chrissie Davis, Deborah Arcaro