E. Food Storage
1. All contaminated, spoiled, or expired foods must be disposed of promptly. Swelled, rusted, dented, or leaky canned food or drink must not be consumed and must be disposed of promptly.
2. All perishable food must be kept at the appropriate temperature.
3. Refrigerators must be kept at a temperature not to exceed 40° Fahrenheit. A thermometer must be kept in the refrigerator at all times.
4. Freezers must be kept at a temperature not to exceed 0° Fahrenheit. A thermometer must be kept in the freezer at all times.
5. Food stored in the refrigerator must be stored in a manner that permits free circulation of cool air. All foods must be covered.
6. Box/bag lunches or other food supplied from outside the Provider must be kept refrigerated if required.
F. Food Preparation
1. Frozen foods must be thawed in the refrigerator or under cold running water. Frozen foods defrosted in the microwave oven must be immediately served or prepared for service.
2. Fresh fruits and vegetables must be thoroughly washed before use.
3. Food, if heated, must be served to Children only after contents have been mixed, stirred, and temperature checked to prevent scalding.
G. Equipment and Utensils
1. All food preparation and eating surfaces must be Cleaned before and after use.
2. Dishes and utensils must be washed in an automatic dishwasher or thoroughly washed in warm soapy water and rinsed in hot water.
3. Paper products must have a single use and must be disposed of immediately after use.
4. Single-service utensils must be used only once.
H. Kitchen facilities
1. Kitchen areas must be well-lighted, clean, sanitary, and orderly.
2. The food preparation area must not be used for other activities when food or drink is being prepared or served.
3. All hot foods and liquids must be out of Children’s reach. A staff person who is cooking or drinking a hot beverage must not hold Children.
4. Proper sinks with plumbing and hot and cold water under pressure approved by the local permitting authority must be available in all rooms where food or drink is prepared, or utensils are washed. Bathrooms are not to be used for preparing foods, cleaning bottles for Infants, or washing dishes.
5. Surfaces coming into contact with food or drink must be easily cleanable, uncluttered, and in good repair.
6. Kitchen facilities must be maintained in a sanitary condition free of insects, rodents, and other contaminants. All utensils, equipment, and food must be stored in a clean, dry place free from insects, rodents, and other contamination and must be handled in such a manner as to prevent contamination.
7. The refrigerator must be maintained in a clean and sanitary fashion, free from mold and spills.
Back to: Table of Contents